Saturday 11 February 2012

A Quilt for the Young Lad ~ Part 1

My quilting has grown with my children.  I finished my first quilt, for the bassinette, just a week or two before Miss Missy was born.  Then came the cot quilt, which I finished when she was about 5 months old.  Then I moved on to her single bed quilt, which I finally finished when she was 4.


And now it's time to make a quilt for the Young Lad.  As with Miss Missy's quilt, I want to make something that won't look too childish as he grows up, and I decided that a Four Seasons quilt would be the thing to make.  So the fabric collecting began.  On every family holiday, I always hunt down any quilt shops, and so the fabric has come from up and down the country...anything that said "nature" or "seasons" to me, I bought it.  It can be hard to shop for fabric for a boy...oh, there's plenty of cars, trains, and whatnot, but I didn't want that sort of thing...it can be very hard to find florals (which you really need for spring, of course) that aren't too girly, and that is when discovered fabric shopping on the internet... oh the fabrics I've found!  (If I could add multiple links at once, I would, I don't know how to do that though, do you?)

Well, the Young Lad is 2 already, so a couple of weeks ago, I decided that it was time to start sewing!  So then I busily washed, ironed, and cut...





...and then I sewed!




(If any of you are wondering how I got from there to here, stay tuned for my next tutorial)




This is just the beginning, of course.

It's a work in progress, and the next stage, no doubt, will take a lot longer, as it will involve a lot of applique, and I like to do that by hand.  It just has a nicer look than machine applique.  Plus I don't have a fancy machine that does buttonhole stitch.

And if I ever have any other projects that need any sky fabric, I think I've probably got that covered...plenty left over!

1 comment:

Thank-you so much for taking the time to comment, I love reading them all!